Sunday, September 25, 2011

Buskers Of Kyiv: A Compendium Of Shaky Cell Phone Videos



I'm told that while busking in Kyiv is technically illegal (especially on public transportation), the law is rarely enforced, though it's customary for musicians to give subway conductors a cut of their earnings so they can get on the trains and play. This apparently goes for all street musicians, who often have to pay the police to gain access to certain busking "hotspots."

Buskers are quite common in Kyiv, and they definitely cover the talent spectrum (some are god-awful, while others are quite pleasant). They range in style from traditional Eastern European folk songs to modern pop, with just about everything in between. I tried to capture a few of them on my cell phone while going to and from work.

Note for the last clip: I tried to go to a performance at the Kyiv Philharmonic, but the woman at the door told me tickets were sold out (I realized later that a small bribe probably would have gotten me in). Anyway, I wandered around the back and noticed a small orchestra of some sort recording a performance. The door was open, so I sat for a while by the stairs and listened. Not bad for a free show!

This guy was my favorite. I spotted him near the Khreschatik Metro station in downtown Kyiv.

No comments:

Post a Comment